[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Joe Lagreca <lagreca at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Help passing traffic from LAN to OPT1
 Date:  Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:56:52 +0800 (MYT)
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Joe Lagreca wrote:

> I am now very confused about m0n0 firewall rules.  Here are my rules for:

have you applied to the rules and/or rebooted your m0n0 after creating the
rules below ?

> OPT1 interface
> Proto   Source     Port    Destination      Port     Description
>  *        OPT1 net   *        ! LAN net         *         Default OPT1
> -> WAN but not LAN
>
> LAN interface
> Proto    Source     Port     Destination     Port    Description
> *          LAN net     *          *                    *
> Default LAN -> any
>
> The rule for OPT1 (reading from top down) will allow traffic from OPT1
> to pass to any interface, except LAN.

exactly, which would prevent you being able to ping any boxen hanging off
OPT1.

> Is it good security practice to also include a rule at the bottom of any
> interface list to deny everything but what was explicity allowed above?

the default rules adopt a block all unless explicitly allowed model.
hence, you just need to add rules to allow the traffic which is permitted
and the default block all rule will block all the rest.

> Above I mentioned I now have another device on OPT1.  The BIG NEWS is
> that I can ping it from LAN!  Which mostly means my problem is solved.

which is odd, considering that you have a rule which prevents the ICMP
replies to go back to the LAN by blocking all packets from OPT1 Net to LAN
Net.