[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chet Harvey <chet at pittech dot com>
 To:  Huub Reuver <h underscore reuver at mantell dot xs4all dot nl>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Another Soekris Alternative Idea
 Date:  Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:47:47 -0400
I have this exact same board in the light series they offer. It's nice but I do
have some issues with it as an appliance. The realteks arent as fast as other
network chipsets and there is no option to add anything, no pci or pcmcia 3. I
stopped using mine as a firewall and made it an ftp server. still have one as a
m0n0 test box.

But it does run m0n0 just fine.

If you want smaller "appliance" like try their Neo model. Same MB but way small
form factor and you can use laptop drives.....

Quoting Huub Reuver <h underscore reuver at mantell dot xs4all dot nl>:

> On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 12:57:48AM +0100, Bryan Kohlstedt wrote:
> >

> > Any thoughts on this:
> http://www.synertrontech.com/proddetail.asp-productno=1U-860A&categoryname=
Server+System+Solution.htm

> > The 533mhz fanless with 3 realtek nics is the same price as a soekris
> > 4801. One of the things I like about it is the rackmount case. In
> > additional, the processor is faster. The only thing is I don't know how
> > 533mhz vs 4801+encryption accelerator would come out. There's no
> > possibility in adding on such a card with the synertrontech board.
> >
> > Any thoughts on compatibility? Any other thoughts?
>
> I would say the processor works on a higher clock speed. It not necessarily
> runs faster. A C3 is not directly comparable to Intel's or AMD's in clock
> speed. The 800MHz version should run faster anyhow. At twice the clockspeed
> it should be able to perform at least comparable.
>
> With a comparable board I found the networkspeed of the VIA Rhine NIC/C3-600
>
> a little low in combination of a Intel EEPro100 with scp. But I have not
> performed elaborate tests (and the server with EEPro is a little cripled
> in the harddrive configuration). Generally I achieved speeds up to 4MB/s
> with a Realtek compared up to 8MB/s with an Intel.
>
> My current opinion is the the Realtek and VIA Rhine are comparable. At least
> they don't manage to use the full 100Mbit/s. With Intel-Intel communication
> I did see speeds above 10MB/s (continuously with streaming data).
>
> If you need speeds close to 100Mbit, at least chose the option with Intel
> NIC's. If you can live with 10-40Mbit the Realteks might offer an
> alternative.
>
> The Geode might run at equal speed with an C3-533, with hardware encryption
> it might outrun the C3. I think the NS DP83816 outperforms a Realtek. The
> net4501 was after all mostly limited by the PCI-bus for raw networkspeed
> and the processor for encryption. But it does al at a measly 15W. Without
> a harddrive ar CD-drive the power usage of the C3 might be comparable.
> The VGA and I/O for keyboard and mouse might prove useless powerconsumers.
>
> You might want to look up the comments for a Realtek network cards in
> NetBSD: "This really redefines low end..."
>
> If you look at the sources available I think both are very well documented
> and supported in open source.
>
> I'd personally compare the Geode with hardware encryption with an C3-533
> with intel NIC's. Otherwise I'd purely choose the cheapest solution offering
> speed for some money or if the difference is low I'd choose based on the
> time
> to delivery.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> With regards,