[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Eglington" <aeglington at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  auto detection - or whatever the subject was
 Date:  Fri, 09 Jul 2004 22:51:08 +1000
Manuel wrote:
>Huh? With non-broken NICs that actually report their link status
>properly, here's how it works in detail:
>
>1. User enters console "assign network ports" menu
>2. User decides to use auto-detection and *duly reads the
>instructions given*
>3. User unplugs all NICs as per the instructions
>4. User enters "a" for the LAN interface name to use auto-detection
>I can't see how I could simplify the auto-detection, given the
>limited technical possibilities, so for the time being I just have to
>assume that people who can't get it to work either use NICs that
>don't report their link-up status properly or just didn't read the
>instructions carefully enough. Unless of course there's a bug that
>prevents it from working for some people.

You know... now that I try to duplicate the problem I can't.
I am fairly good at following instructions, so although i cant get it to do
it again, I am fairly sure I had a problem the first time.
Weird...

>>Also, the font that displays the NIC names makes 1 (one) loook like
>>l (L), and he was reading :
>>x10 (x ten)
>>instead of what was actually:
>>xl0 (x L zero)
>
>On the console or in the webGUI?

On the console.

>>Subnet mask examples:
>>255.0.0.0 = /8
>>255.255.0.0 = /16
>>255.255.255.0 = /24
>>255.255.255.255 = /32
>
>Here's what it says in the console menu "Set LAN IP address":
>Subnet masks are entered as bit counts (as in CIDR notation) in
>m0n0wall.
>e.g. 255.255.255.0 = 24
>     255.255.0.0   = 16
>     255.0.0.0     = 8
>
>Enter the new LAN subnet bit count:
>---

/me slaps himself on the forehead.
Um yeah sorry.. its been a while since i looked at it.
I was giving setup assistance over the phone.... evidently the person I was
helping neglected to inform me that what I was explaining was written on the
screen in front of him.
/me slaps himself on the forehead, again.

Now I'll just crawl back into my box and tape it up...

Love Movies? You'll love HomeScreen. Rental DVDs - no late fees!  Go to:
http://www.ninemsn.homescreen.com.au/account/freetrial/?.promo=9msn_hotmail_
tagline