[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bryan Brayton" <bryan at sonicburst dot net>
 To:  "Zadikem, Travis-taz" <tzadikem at picosecond dot com>, "Fred Wright" <fw at well dot com>, "Monowall \(E-mail\)" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Anyone got a trust working with m0n0wall
 Date:  Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:12:22 -0400
The WINS Service is entirely unnecessary for a Windows 2000/2003 domain
trust to be set up.  WINS is simply a name resolution service for
NetBIOS over TCP/IP, which is not necessary for a 2K/2K3 domain, trusts
or no trusts. As long as both DCs can resolve each other by DNS name
(this is very important) and you have the correct tcp ports open to/from
each machine, the trust will work.

See this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;179442 for the
ports you need open.  They specifically discuss how to make it work
through a PPTP connection.

Regards,
Bryan