[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Kirk Lane <ayocee at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Zoom 5001 PCI Cable modem in a m0n0wall?
 Date:  Tue, 13 Jul 2004 04:06:42 -0700
I've been using (and LOVING) my Pentium 133 m0n0wall box for probably
close to a month now.   Easily the best router setup I've ever had. :)

Anyway, it's currently connected with an old PCI D-Link 10mb card
(that has a BNC connector on it too!) to my mom's Motorola SB4200 on
the WAN side, and a PCI 10/100 card on the LAN side, I think a Realtek
8129-type setup.  Works beautifully.

Since I'm moving back out soon, and taking the m0n0wall with me
(leaving my mom with the Microsoft MN-100 router I was using
before...it's decent so long as you're not using BitTorrent) I of
course had to pick up another cable modem.

Browsing around eBay, I noticed something that looked to be a Zoom
5001 PCI cable modem - it certainly matched more than a cursory visual
inspection, and upon receiving it, it does appear to be one, just sans
the Zoom branding anywhere on the PCB.

The Zoom 5001 - as well as this "Xcross" - both utilize the Conexant
RS7112 chip on the PCI side of things.  According to the hardware
page, the dc driver (link:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=dc&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+4.9-RELEASE
) supports this chipset.  So I figure I'm good to go, right?

Wrong.  Swapping it out for the D-Link suddenly leaves me with just
one interface in m0n0wall, fxp0 - my LAN.  ed0, my WAN card,
disappears, but nothing takes its place.

Is dc disabled by default?  Or is this card just somehow not supported by it?

Short version: PCI Cable modem with Conexant RS7112 chip won't work in
m0n0wall, help!

Thanks. :)

Kirk Lane
ayocee at gmail dot com