[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Iedema <iedemam at pluto dot dsu dot edu>
 To:  Volker Wieban <b0fh at gmx dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall-list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: Fw: Re: [m0n0wall] skins / languages for webgui
 Date:  Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:19:48 -0500
> is it possible to bring kind of a system into this? i think it would be good to make
language-files or something like this hold the translated text and can be replaced by another one
easily. these language-files could be uploaded via webgui and get stored on floppy/sd-card. on
booting m0n0 should parse this file and build a translated gui. this would help adding new languages
and we wouldn't have to start again when a m0n0wall update arrives. what do you think of it?
> are there any helpful tools to implement this?

Agreed.  I was picturing a single XML file containing each page's form
fields, help hints, etc.  In much the same way the system configuration
is generated the language could be generated.

So first step would be to replace the static text with references to a
parsed XML document.  Then hand that xml document off to someone to be
translated.

So simple yet so little time.  Anyone want my job for about a week? :)

--Michael I.