[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Fred Mol" <fredlist at xs4all dot nl>
 To:  "m0n0" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] creating ISO on non-BSD machines? (openvpn)
 Date:  Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:14:42 +0200 (CEST)
Dinesh Nair:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Jan Walzer wrote:
>
>> Currently I can't mount it after unzipping it, so I suspect, it is a
>> fileformat, only common in BSD, right?
>
> the unzipped mfsroot is in the UFS file format, which is peculiar to the
> BSDs. i do not know if linux can mount it though there may be utilities to
> do this if you searched hard enough.

Fedore Core 2 can only mount BSD UFS read-only by default. Read-write support
is said to be experimental. You could probably enable it by recompiling
the kernel (or a kernel module). After that, make sure to include the
ufstype=44bsd option in addition to specifying -t ufs.

Here's how to mount mfsroot read-only:

  mkdir /tmp/cdrom /tmp/mfsroot
  mount -o loop,ro -t iso9660 cdrom-1.1b15.iso /tmp/cdrom
  cp -r /tmp/cdrom /tmp/cdrom-copy
  gzip -d /tmp/cdrom-copy/mfsroot.gz
  mount -o loop,ufstype=44bsd,ro -t ufs /tmp/cdrom-copy/mfsroot /tmp/mfsroot

Hope this helps,

--Fred Mol