[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Volker Wieban <b0fh at gmx dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall-list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Fw: Re: Fw: Re: [m0n0wall] skins / languages for webgui
 Date:  Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:08:02 +0200
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:59:47 +0200
Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net> wrote:

> On 13.07.2004 17:05 -0300, Volker Wieban wrote:
>
> Nice idea, but does this really make sense (i.e. is it worth the
> effort)? My native language isn't English either (as some of you
> might have noticed ;), but I'd never set my appliances (firewalls,
> access points, routers, etc.) to any language other than English even
> if I could. I just have this horrid image of incomplete, wrong (very
> likely to happen if the translator doesn't know all about each and
> every feature) or mixed (with English) translations... This is a huge
> amount of work, and each time new features are added the translations
> will have to be adapted as well. Will the initial translators be
> available at that point in time? Judging from the "success" of the
> m0n0wall documentation project, the long-time commitment has a
> tendency to not get particularly high. Needless to say, it also makes
> the webGUI pages a lot more complicated (and slower?) because every
> single text string has to be obtained via a function call/macro
> expansion (or something like that).
>
> Right now, I feel that the documentation has higher priority, as
> anyone who wants to go the "open source firewall route" will have to
> deal with English sooner or later anyway.
>
> Comments? Flames? Suggestions? Sometimes I feel like I'm the brake
> block of this project...
>
> - Manuel

i agree, documentation is important and it won't be easy to keep translations up to date but with an
upgradeable system and some reliable persons it could be done IMHO.
another thing is the speed problem you spoke of. i can't see a solution for this. hardcoded strings
simply _are_ faster.
i also wouldn't need a german gui because my english is good enough to work with an english one also
but i think it's a nice feature and could be handy to some not-so-well-english-speaking. at the
moment i got some spare time and would be willing to help, that's all ;)

bye
volker

--
registered GoboLinux-User 01000000