[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Volker Wieban <b0fh at gmx dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Fw: Re: [m0n0wall] skins / languages for webgui
 Date:  Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:59:47 +0200
On 13.07.2004 17:05 -0300, Volker Wieban wrote:

> is it possible to bring kind of a system into this? i think it
> would be good to make language-files or something like this hold
> the translated text and can be replaced by another one easily.
> these language-files could be uploaded via webgui and get stored on
> floppy/sd-card. on booting m0n0 should parse this file and build a
> translated gui. this would help adding new languages and we
> wouldn't have to start again when a m0n0wall update arrives. what
> do you think of it? are there any helpful tools to implement this?

Nice idea, but does this really make sense (i.e. is it worth the
effort)? My native language isn't English either (as some of you
might have noticed ;), but I'd never set my appliances (firewalls,
access points, routers, etc.) to any language other than English even
if I could. I just have this horrid image of incomplete, wrong (very
likely to happen if the translator doesn't know all about each and
every feature) or mixed (with English) translations... This is a huge
amount of work, and each time new features are added the translations
will have to be adapted as well. Will the initial translators be
available at that point in time? Judging from the "success" of the
m0n0wall documentation project, the long-time commitment has a
tendency to not get particularly high. Needless to say, it also makes
the webGUI pages a lot more complicated (and slower?) because every
single text string has to be obtained via a function call/macro
expansion (or something like that).

Right now, I feel that the documentation has higher priority, as
anyone who wants to go the "open source firewall route" will have to
deal with English sooner or later anyway.

Comments? Flames? Suggestions? Sometimes I feel like I'm the brake
block of this project...

- Manuel