[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] IP Aliases question
 Date:  Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:50:44 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, James W. McKeand wrote:

> Not without VLAN support - which is in 1.1b16 - and an infrastructure that
> can support 802.1Q VLANs.

Not quite - see below.

Yes, unfortunate choice of terminology. :-)

> Is there no there possibility to assign multiple IPs to the LAN interface
> (except the /exec.php stuff with ifconfig <int> ip alias)

There is also a mechanism for executing shell commands at startup by
config.xml.  You can use this to add aliases to *statically* configured
interfaces (which the LAN interface currently *must* be), though I haven't
tried it.  But I wouldn't expect it to work for dynamically configured
interfaces, since I don't think the kernel likes to see aliases before the
primary address is set.

Doing this sort of thing more generally would require the ability to
execute specified command(s) when a given interface comes up, i.e. after
dhclient or mpd if necessary.

I recommend testing any command you intend to put there via exec.php
first, since if you put something in the config that screws it up, it may
be a hassle to undo.

					Fred Wright