[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Fred Mol" <fredlist at xs4all dot nl>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wrap slows down
 Date:  Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:54:04 +0200 (CEST)
Dinesh Nair said:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Lercom ICT Diensten wrote:
>
>> I tried trafic shaping, but most P2P clients can be set to use different
>> ports so it won't work. I think the problem lies in the upload and not
>> the download.
>
> try using the magic shaper in 1.1b16. it prioritizes small outgoing ack
> packets so a heavy p2p upload does not kill download bandwidth.

I don't thinks it's a bandwith problem. Once the pptp link gets in a state
where (almost) no traffic passes over it, it remains that way, even if
the up/downloads are stopped. The only way to cure that (temporarily) is
to restart the pptp connections.

See my previous posts about the same problem:

http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=70&actionargs[]=75
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=71&actionargs[]=41

Especially the last one is interesting: it shows packets being sent
through ng0 that are not sent (encapsulated) to the adsl modem.

--Fred