[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Fred Mol" <fredlist at xs4all dot nl>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wrap slows down
 Date:  Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:20:03 +0200 (CEST)
lola at yais dot net said:
> this is a bandwith problem. your filesharing tools blow your dsl modem with
> too many connections or with heavy uploads.

What do you mean with "blow your dsl modem". The modem has been used
for over 2 years with a Linux box with a home-brew iptables firewall
and I didn't see a single lockup. I've had three lockups last week
with m0n0wall. BTW, I didn't have any lockups with m0n0wall 1.0, but
I only used that for a few weeks, because that has problems with incoming
pptp vpn connections from Windows XP.

Also, when the connection freezes, the only way to "unfreeze" it, is to
restart the connection (i.e. restart mpd) _on m0n0wall_. The modem isn't
touched at all. Stopping the filetransfers does not cure the the problem
either.

So how can this be a bandwith problem or a modem problem? It looks like a
software problem to me, and my primary suspect is mpd.

Can we at least recognize that there is a problem with m0n0wall and adsl
connections and not try to blame something/someone else?

Thanks,

--Fred