[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Wireless success stories?
 Date:  Thu, 22 Jul 2004 03:38:29 -0600
I'm wondering if anyone has successfully set up m0n0wall as a wireless
access point -- If so, what card are you using? -- I spent a few hours
reading list archives to become familiar with m0n0wall in general (and
I'm VERY impressed, by the way), but other then some "go here to figure
out if a card might work" references, I can't find any real wireless
success stories.

So in short, I'm looking for recommendations.

One other thought, although I'm not sure if it's a good thought or not:
Since WEP and I don't get along very well, and since m0n0wall seems to
have defeated the common PPTP-can't-access-WAN problem, would it be
relatively secure to set the wireless side as a wide open AP, but
restrict access to the LAN/WAN and require the user to VPN?

I'm thinking this just might work -- I seem to be able to PPTP from the
LAN side or the WAN side (which is a HUGE help debugging my RADIUS
setup, by the way).

 From the usability side of things, this would be acceptable, we only
use wireless on our laptops, and our laptops are all already capable of
VPNing.

Am I sleep deprived and off my rocker or is this worth thinking about?

--
SCIENTISTS COMPARE APPLES AND ORANGES FOR VITAMIN CONTENT
"It's like comparing apples and oranges," says researcher