[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at acm dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Filtered bridging for a two-interface machine
 Date:  Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:13:03 -0700
Hi--

When I first implemented filtered bridging for m0n0wall, I got a bunch
of questions about how to do this on a machine with only two network
interfaces (corresponding to the two sides of the bridge).  At the time,
I didn't think this was possible, because this functionality nominally
requires three network interfaces (LAN, WAN, and the unnumbered bridged
interface).

With the VLAN capabilities in 1.1b16, it *might* be possible to make one
of these interfaces (probably the LAN interface) a VLAN interface on one
of the two physical interfaces and have everything work.  I haven't
actually tried this and I'm not likely to, but this is just a idea in
case anyone's still wrestling with this.

Cheers,

Bruce.