[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: "Panic" while booting net4801
 Date:  Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:22:56 +0200
Hi again,

>IP Filter: v3.4.33 initialized.  Default = block all, Logging = enabled
>ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting

Sorry for self-followup, I searched the mail-archives and found some
mails, where people had EXACTLY the same problems. Unfortunately they
did not get any helpful answers :-/

One user said, that switching the CF-card to another brand (Kingston
AFAIR) helped. With that in mind I tried the IBM microdrive (1 GB)
from my digicam and it worked!

I bought the Soekris 4801 at soekris.kd85.com INCLUDING the 64 MB CF
card. This one was already pre-installed with OpenBSD 3.4 and worked
on the Soekris 4801. I just dd'ed the (previously saved) OpenBSD image
and could boot just fine.

This looks to me like the card itself is compatible. Is there any
possibility of increasing a time-out in m0n0wall, in order to
accomplish slower (non-ultra) CF-cards? The microdrive boots
significantly faster, so I assume the slow speed of the boot-medium
is causing the trouble.

>ata0: resetting devices .. done
>ad0: 61MB <SanDisk SDCFB-64> [490/8/32] at ata0-master WDMA2
>ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
>ata0: resetting devices .. done
>ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
>ata0: resetting devices .. done
>ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
>ad0: trying fallback to PIO mode
>ata0: resetting devices .. done

>Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>fault virtual address	= 0x780090
>fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
>instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc018a1df
>stack pointer	        = 0x10:0xc02a3870
>frame pointer	        = 0x10:0xc02a38a8
>code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>current process		= Idle
>interrupt mask		= bio
>trap number		= 12
>panic: page fault
>
>syncing disks...
>done
>Uptime: 41s
>Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

Kind regards

Frederick