[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Frederick Page" <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] SOLUTION: "Panic" while booting net4801
 Date:  Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:54:10 -0700
> But the cause is the ATA driver in FreeBSD, which does not always
> correctly identify the hardware capabilities. Every Soekris related
> CF-card problem had the boot-messages included and those clearly
> stated, the CF card was (wrongly) addressed/recognized as WDMA2.

Forgive the possibly dumb question, but how would anyone know WDMA2 was
wrong?

I think that would depend on the speed of the card wouldn't it? Or does it
depend on the drive having an intelligent controller to manage the DMA?

At any rate, congrats on finding the problem - this is what opensource
collaboration is all about... the person with the problem is often the
person to fix it or at least identify it for all. Someone should post the
information to a BSD list so they know the error( or did you find an
associated bug report - if so, Manuel may be interested in watching it for
when a corrected kernel / boot loader comes out.

In the meantime, I wonder if we should change the default in the base image
to prevent this from recurring when people such as yourself update the
firmware.

Like you say, a 6MB os hardly needs DMA - maybe we should make the default
off until the detection works properly?

m/