[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Danne <danne at djesigns dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Traffic Shaping issue
 Date:  Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:11:46 -0500
I have an unusual problem with traffic shaping and PPPoE. I have a
330kbps upload I (tried) limited to 300kbps for ACK packet
prioritization. I've nothiced, though, that any web and AIM direct
connect traffic I have going through my "shaped" WAN interface, it is
limited down to 250-260kbps. I've tried removing everything and starting
clean, only using one pipe and forcing all traffic through it, and
updating to the latest beta (1.1b16) but nothing has changed.

Running java-based speed tests always show the properly limited speed.
Serving files (web/FTP/Shoutcast Streaming) and directly conneted AIM
transfers never do. This can be seen no matter if I have the rule set on
the WAN interface or LAN interface. Doing LAN based file transfers
between my optional interface and LAN interface shows correctly.

I've lowered my LAN machine's MTU to 1492 and 1456 with the same
results. I'm only left to think that there is an issue with PPPoE and
the shaping rules. Could anyone please offer any further suggestions?

PC based m0n0wall 1.1b16/ PII 350 256megs RAM.