[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Kirk Lane <ayocee at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Why the old base? (was: SOLUTION: "Panic")
 Date:  Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:39:28 -0700
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 02:23:26 +0200, Frederick Page
<fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de> wrote:
> It depends on the drive. Most modern harddrives can do (Ultra)DMA, but
> CF-cards are "simulated" harddrives, they behave like HDs. m0n0wall
> uses an elderly FreeBSD 4.9 (I'm sure for good reasons), but the ATA
> driver is not as advanced as in recent FreeBSD releases.

Just a one-off question.  What exactly is the reason for using an
older version of FreeBSD?  Are there serious compatibility issues with
newer versions?  Would it require an extensive re-work?

(Yes, this comes back to getting that Zoom 5001 to work. ;)

Kirk Lane
ayocee at gmail dot com