[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Danne <danne at djesigns dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping issue
 Date:  Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:48:29 -0500
Mitch (WebCob) wrote:

>Hi Danne
>

>I have an unusual problem with traffic shaping and PPPoE. I have a
>330kbps upload I (tried) limited to 300kbps for ACK packet
>prioritization. I've nothiced, though, that any web and AIM direct
>connect traffic I have going through my "shaped" WAN interface, it is
>limited down to 250-260kbps. I've tried removing everything and starting
>clean, only using one pipe and forcing all traffic through it, and
>updating to the latest beta (1.1b16) but nothing has changed.

Just a thought... the real world isn't exactly like the test world...

There could be something in the network latency in the real world that is
limiting your throughput beyond what you are setting. There could be limits
at the ISP, or congestion that are causing some of the issues.

Would like to know what you are using to test though and where you got it -
looking for some good speedtest tools that don't rely on a third party.

Thanks.

m/

Thanks for replying Mitch,

My DSL ISP is SBC. They are quite lenient with their network. I have
asked several techs (both transport and ISP side) about filtering being
done, and there is nothing to hinder this specific traffic. I usually
test my connection at http://web100.rit.edu:7123/ . I always get
consistant >320kbps upload results from there. I've also never noticed
any problem uploading anything using my prior firewall, IPCop. Then
again, the main reason I started using m0n0wall was for the traffic
shaping ability. I never even considered this to be a problem until I
noticed my serving speed increase after disabling traffic shaping.

I've measured my transfer of files using my FTP client, CoolMon and the
new traffic graph built into m0n0. While transfering, I can disable and
reenable shaping and watch my speed drop and return reliabily. I've
tried this over 3 different networks. Aside from testing transfers over
my personal networks, all tests are real world. Unfortunatly, the
consistancy of my results (so far) point to something weird on m0n0. I'm
assuming PPPoE is at fault due to regular Ethernet transfers not being
affected and any time non-java based transfers are passing through the
PPPoE client, I see this drop. As mentioned before, setting my shaping
rules on the WAN or LAN interface yield the same result.

With shaping turned off, feel free to download a file from my server. It
is 5.5megs, and you should see around a 38KB transfer rate.
http://www.djesigns.com/upload/episode_theme.zip

Danne