[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Danne" <danne at djesigns dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping issue
 Date:  Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:20:08 -0700
> My DSL ISP is SBC. They are quite lenient with their network. I have
> asked several techs (both transport and ISP side) about filtering being
> done, and there is nothing to hinder this specific traffic. I usually
> test my connection at http://web100.rit.edu:7123/ . I always get
> consistant >320kbps upload results from there. I've also never noticed
> any problem uploading anything using my prior firewall, IPCop. Then
> again, the main reason I started using m0n0wall was for the traffic
> shaping ability. I never even considered this to be a problem until I
> noticed my serving speed increase after disabling traffic shaping.

Hmm.... Maybe I'm not being clear in what I'm thinking... and maybe I'm
wrong...

But it seems to me that just because you limit your throughput to X that you
will ever see a transfer of X.

It will always be X - network overhead.

In a controlled environment, this will be VERY close to X, but in the real
world, where your acks get delayed by the total trip time to the destination
host, the throughput will be slower.

Am I wrong?

Traffic shaping is about ensuring the MAXIMUM limits are never violated in
order to ensure that there is bandwidth available for critial data... but it
doesn't ensure 100% channel saturation.

I think.

Anyone?

m/