[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Danne" <danne at djesigns dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping issue
 Date:  Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:56:21 -0700
> Hmmm, I tried a 1456 byte ping and see a 130ms latency without the
> shaper on. Wow, I didn't think about doing this. That would certainly
> make sense! Glad to see it wasn't m0n0wall after all! I guess my best
> option would be to find a way to increase my upload.

I'm not an expert at this part, but I seem to recall various tools that
would optimize a link by changing the mtu based on what works best for the
link. Sometimes iirc, what happens is that although YOU have an mtu of say
1400 with your ISP, SOMEWHERE in the chain between you and them, there is a
link with an mtu of say 614 ;-)

This results in all your packets being fragmented in the middle, and
reassembled on the other side, which can increase delays more I think...
this is where some of that wacky windows mtu optimizing software got started
I think.

Be happy to hear from a few gurus if any are listening though.

m/