[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian Ernst <brian at kirien dot org>
 To:  Brian Ernst <brian at kirien dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Magic Shaper and Bit Torrent
 Date:  Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:59:46 -0700
On 26 Jul 2004, at 8:39 PM, Brian Ernst wrote:

> There is a rule needed that Magic Shaper does not currently create for
> Bit Torrent to be shaped properly in the downloading (incoming)
> direction. Some BT clients connect from any port to ports 6881-6999 on
> the local computer to send data. Therefore a rule such as WAN
> incoming, TCP, source any, dest 6881-6999, Queue 7 (as Magic Shaper is
> currently configured - whatever the hated download queue is).
>
> Without this rule only connections where the local machine has
> initiated the connection will get shaped, but the BT protocol allows
> for either machine to initiate the connection.

Argh I think my logic is backward. The current BT download rule shapes
traffic from clients that originate the connection, but the local
computer can also initiate the connection from ports 6881-6999 and the
remote computer can use that connection to send data. It makes my head
hurt. I hope I'm making sense.