[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Hugo Hamel" <hhamel at privalodc dot com>
 To:  "'Mitch (WebCob)'" <mitch at webcob dot com>, "'Danne'" <danne at djesigns dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE : [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping issue
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:58:19 -0400
You are correct with your answer. DSL is a shared technology with no
garantied bandwidth. It works just like a modem. You connect to an ISP,
this ISP brings your traffic back (called backhaul) to its main site and
then gets transferred to the Internet. The Backhaul portion is (most of
the time) ATM UBR traffic. UBR means unspecified bit rate. This kind of
traffic is a lot cheapper for ISP.

Hope this helps

Hugo