[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  hhamel at privalodc dot com
 To:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 Cc:  "Hugo Hamel" <hhamel at privalodc dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: ATM WAS RE: [m0n0wall] RE : [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping issue
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:36:23 -0500 (EST)
Your ISP is buying Bandwith from a carrier. This is an ATM circuit
connecting back to the carrier. This is a layer 2 conection (OSI model).
It is connected to his router for the layer 3 connection. You are
connecting to his DSLAM (equipement that provides you your DSL connection)
this is a layer 2 connection (most of the time, this is a PPoE connection)
you are then routed back to the router. So the broadcast domain is from
the router or switch of the ISP and this is why subscriber A and B can
talk to each other.

/32 subnetting is mostly use for point to point connection between 2 sites
using private line or frame relay.

Hope this helps

Hugo