[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Peter Curran" <peter at closeconsultants dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE : [m0n0wall] Re: ATM WAS RE: [m0n0wall] RE : [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping issue
 Date:  Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:29:00 -0400
> I don't know how things look in other parts of the world, but here in the
> UK, just about every ADSL service is PPP-over-ATM. I don't know the
> technicalities or the benefits/drawbacks of ATM, but ISPs over here
> definitely *do* use it.

You are absolutely correct.  The reason is because BT uses an ATM network
for its data services and all ADSL retailers in the UK are either BT or
wholesalers of the BT service.  (There are a couple of exceptions who
actually put their own kit in the exchanges, but that is rare).

Irrespective of your ADSL provider, 99.99% of the time you are being
authenticated by a BT server and then routed across the BT ATM network to
the ISP (ADSL provider) of your choice.

BT only use PPPoA.

ATM is expensive, unless you can acheive an economy of scale - which you can
if you are BT.  (I should point point out at this point that ATM was
designed by and for the large telcos - any idea that ATM should be used by
anybody else is marketing BS :-)

Peter

believed to be clean.