[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Thomas Hertz" <term at cynisk dot net>
 To:  "'Vincent Fleuranceau'" <vincent at bikost dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] IPsec VPN - multiple SAD entries with same src/dst pair
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:53:28 +0200
Hello Vincent,

To put it simply, the ipsec protocol consists of two parts. The first part
(phase 1) is what is called ISAKMP key exchange. This is a protocol that
takes places between the two isakmp-daemons running on the peers (on
m0n0/FreeBSD this is racoon). This phase is where the authentication and
initial keying takes place. On the m0n0, only a pre shared text string can
be used as a key (commonly referred to as a PSK). When the negotiation
succeeds it will result in a ISAKMP security association, based on the PSK.
This link will further on be used to send new _random_ keys for the IPSEC
SA:s. The IPSEC SA:s will in turn be used to encrypt the traffic with the
random keys.

So, the P1 can be seen as a "control channel" for the P2. P1 is performing a
more or less "intelligent" key exchange, and P2 is just static "dumb" rules
for how to encrypt the packets in question. For this reason the only real
vulnerable transaction is the initial P1 negotiation. If this is compromised
(or maybe even brute force cracked?) you could theoretically intercept the
keys used for the P2 transactions, and see the traffic the IPSEC is trying
to hide from prying eyes. That's why the P1 lifetime should be as long as
possible, especially when dealing with PSK:s. The P2 is not as vulnerable as
the only thing you can get if you'd brute force it is the content of the
data transmitted during that particular Ipsec SA:s lifetime. This is a
reason for making the P2 shorter.

Hope it makes some sense to you! =)

// Thomas Hertz