[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall cables
 Date:  Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:58:45 -0400
The answer to the question of what cables you will need to connect your
equipment is depends on your equipment. I usually try normal cables first,
then if I cannot get a link try x-over.

James W. McKeand

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Bagnall [mailto:m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc] 
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 3:57 AM
To: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
Subject: RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall cables

> Host - Host  = Crossover cable
> Switch - Switch = Crossover cable
> Host - Switch = Normal cable
> Hosts: PC, Router, Firewall, Printer
> Switch: Hub, Switch, ADSL modem

At the risk of throwing an extra spanner in the works, it's worth mentioning
that some switches have one port set aside for "uplink".  If you use this
port, the above rules are reversed, i.e. you can connect switch-switch with
an ordinary cable, or you can connect the uplink port to a client with a
x-over cable.

Some newer switches and/or all gigabit switches seem to have auto-MDI/X on
them anyway, so you can use either normal or x-over cables for connections
to anything, and the switch will work out where the pairs are.


C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969
ICQ: 13350579   AIM: MinotaurUK   MSN: minotauruk at hotmail dot com   Y!:
This email is made from 100% recycled electrons

To unsubscribe, e-mail: m0n0wall dash unsubscribe at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
For additional commands, e-mail: m0n0wall dash help at lists dot m0n0 dot ch