[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  James Doherty <james at zeald dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic shaping & Captive portal?
 Date:  Mon, 02 Aug 2004 16:09:22 +1200
On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 19:46, Andrew Greenwood wrote:

> Firstly, what's this new "Captive portal" thing in the new beta about? I'm
> totally clueless as to what it's for.

Say for example you were offering free wireless connectivity from your
m0n0wall box and you wanted to make people agree to terms and conditions
before they use it. When they connect to your box and try and surf the
web, they'll be presented with the captive portal page. From memory
m0n0wall lets you customise this to say what you want on it.

I think later versions of the m0n0wall beta include RADIUS support for
the captive portal, so you can give people usernames and passwords if
you want to control who can use your wireless connection.

--
James Doherty
Network Admin