 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  VPN with 2 WAN Interfaces in a lan?
 Date:  Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:21:25 +0200
Hi,

i am trying to make a VPN in my home lan with 2 m0n0wall boxes. This is my setup:

[Box1]
WAN: normal pppoe to my provider (dynamic ip)
LAN: normal connection to my home lan (192.168.30.x)
OPT1: problem

[Box2]
LAN: connected to my Access point with a private ip range (192.168.31.x)
WAN: problem

What i want to do now is to "simulate" a WAN in my home lan with the OPT1 inteface of box1 and the
WAN interface of box2.

I tried something like this with windows over a cross-over cable: Gave machine1 ip and some gateway
and assigned machine2 as IP the gateway i defined for machine1 - and as gateway the IP of machine1.
And this works!

My problem is i want to do this now for the two m0n0 boxes, but the m0n0wall setup only allows me to
specify one Wan interface :-( i have to make the other one some OPT Interface, but how can i route
it to the other machine? I already have connected OPT1(box1) and WAN(box2) over a crossover-cable
but if i assign ips to the interfaces i cant ping anyways...

Any ideas?

My goal is once this is working to make a VPN from the LAN of my Access point (this 192.168.31.x) to
my normal lan (this 192.168.30.x) to secure the access point this way.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Greetings

Daniel