[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] HowTo multiple IP adresses on my WAN?
 Date:  Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:48:51 -0700
Joe,

> I have an address range of:
>
> CPE Computer IP range first address:    xx.xxx.xxx.146
> CPE Computer IP range last address:     xx.xxx.xxx.150
> CPE Computer subnet mask:               255.255.255.248
>
> I believe I have a /29 network and was wondering how I can use my
> m0n0wall for all of those IP addresses.  I have tried playing with it
> for a few days now unsucessfully.  I believe it is going to have
> something to do with "Server NAT" or "1:1" nat.  I just can't seem to
> figure out which one I should use and how to get it to work.
Use 1:1 NAT to get m0n0wall to take connections from more than 1 IP.

Go to NAT -> 1:1 and add an entry.  Depending on how your Internal LAN
looks, (for most configurations it would be /24), then you wouldn't be
able to use the /29 CIDR mask in the 1:1.  Instead, specify IP by IP
the mapping to some IP address in your internal LAN space.

For example, if you had an internal server that would use 146-150, and
your internal subnet is 192.168.1.0/24, do a 1:1 mapping for
xxx.xxx.xxx.146/32 -> 192.168.1.146
xxx.xxx.xxx.147/32 -> 192.168.1.147
xxx.xxx.xxx.148/32 -> 192.168.1.148
xxx.xxx.xxx.149/32 -> 192.168.1.149
xxx.xxx.xxx.150/32 -> 192.168.1.150

I'm not necessarily sure if you could map them all to the exact same
address, but in the case that you can't, just bind your server to
those addresses if you want to use all those external IPs to hit the
same internal server.

> I would eventually like to do bandwith throttling/traffic shaping to
> prevent any single user from using all of my bandiwth.
The magic packet shaper added in 1.1b16 will do wonders on traffic shaping ;)

/sylikc