[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Justin Ellison <justin at techadvise dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cable modem issue with m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 04 Aug 2004 08:39:54 -0500
Just getting in on this thread - forgive me if I missed something...

If your cable modem is not coming online, then it has nothing to do with
m0n0wall, or any other box behind it.  T3 timeouts mean that the modem
has lost communication from the CMTS, and it basically reboots and tries
to re-register.

Send your m0n0wall logs, as well as your modem logs.

Justin

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 18:45, CygnusX1 wrote:
> I just came across some info that this may be a problem with the DHCP
> client in FreeBSD/m0n0wall...
>
> http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/archive/index.php/t-2650
>

> CygnusX1 wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Comcast is in the process of taking over my broadband service from
> > Insight Communications.
> >
> > Since switching to a Comcast address range, I have been having
> > frequent problems with my Internet connection. In the log (the SW
> > error should be irrelavent--they are trying to put motorala firmware
> > in my Linksys modem) below is a typical sequence that repeats over and
> > over while connected via m0n0wall...then, at 15:32, I connected a
> > sacrificial XP machine directly to the cable modem at which point the
> > modem properly synched up immediately. On the XP machine, the network
> > interface had the following values:
> > IP            68.x.y.z
> > subnet      255.255.252.0
> > Gateway  68.x.a.b (within same subnet as IP)
> > DHCP      172.30.58.34
> > DNS        68.57.q.r
> >                68.57.q.r+1
> >
> > I am guessing that the IP address of the DHCP server is giving me
> > trouble. Any ideas? What else do I need to provide to complete this
> > picture? (There is no route to 172.x.x.x in m0n0wall routing table.)
> >
> > Same issues using a Linksys BEFCMU10 modem and a Motorala SB5100 modem.
> >
> > One more question: Is there a way to force m0n0wall to release and
> > renew DHCP on the WAN interface?
> >
> > Thank you for any help.
> >
> > Cyg

Justin Ellison <justin at techadvise dot com>