[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping issue
 Date:  Wed, 4 Aug 2004 19:01:51 +0200
Hallo Danne,

Danne schrieb am 26. July 2004:

>I have an unusual problem with traffic shaping and PPPoE.

You're not the only one. Regardless whether I used the "magic shaper"
in the latest Beta, regardless of what settings, regardless if I only
prioritized ACK-Packets (according to FAQ), the result was always
noticeable WORSE than without enabling traffic shaper.

Especially Azuerus (BitTorrent) drops horribly when Traffic Shaper is
enabled.

>I'm only left to think that there is an issue with PPPoE and
>the shaping rules.

I'm also DSL-user with PPPoE, I cannot guess on the causes, but I can
confirm your effects: for me traffic shaper does more harm than good.
Please don't get me wrong: I'm certain, that it's a great idea and
does also work fine, but just not here :-(

>Could anyone please offer any further suggestions?

For the time being: just leave it off :-/

>PC based m0n0wall 1.1b16/ PII 350 256megs RAM.

Soekris net4801 (Pentium-166, 128 MB RAM).

Kind regards   Frederick