[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] feature request: dhcp before pptp
 Date:  Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:21:55 -0600
Fred Wright wrote:

>On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, gaelic wrote:
>

>>i'm connection to my provider via pptp. but it's no that easy, because I get an dynamic ip address
with dhcp before connecting. for example 172.16.247.xxx and the gateway is 172.16.247.1. the
adsl/xdsl modem from inode is a zyxel prestige 600 an has the fixed ip address 10.0.0.138.

>>well, i need a pptp connection combined with dhcp ...
>>

>I agree that it would be useful to have that capability, although if your
>ISP is so clueless that they force you to have a dynamically assigned
>*private* address just to connect to their PPTP server, then you have to
>wonder what other things they're clueless about. :-) There are certainly
>reasonable setups that provide DHCP in that context, but only as a
>configuration convenience for an address that's actually static.

It seems odd, true -- However, the DHCP system would be a decent
convinience, especially if you get routed to a captive portal until you
complete the PPTP stage.

I wouldn't neccesarily consider this clueless as much as lazy, if they
simply haven't bothered to create a static IP database (to track which
IPs are assigned to whom) -- It's much easier to just run an open DHCP
server and control access at the PPTP stage of the game.

I'm debating doing this exact process on my WLAN so that I don't have to
worry about WEP anymore.  I'll allow access via PPTP or through a
captive portal.  PPTP, so that I can configure my PC to automatically
login.  Captive portal for any time we have a temporary PC connected
(Visitor bringing a laptop) and don't want to bother with PPTP.

Can anyone see any downsides to this configuration?

--
This space intentionally left blank.