[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Graham Dunn <gdunn at inscriber dot com>
 To:  blaue0 <me at blaue0 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problem getting m0n0wall to work
 Date:  Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:25:21 -0400
On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:08:42PM +0200, blaue0 wrote:
> Thanks a lot. First: With crossover cable from my machine to m0n0, all
> works fine.
> I don't know much about electronic and such stuff. I don't know if my
> switch is grounded correctly, but I think it's not.
>
> I know, that I have to use https instead of http with HTTPS, but it's as
> I said: nmap shows a completly closed firewall. Not even one port is open.
>
> I'm not using the same IP subnet on WAN and LAN interface, the LAN is
> 192.168.1.x and the WAN is assigned by DHCP from my cable provider.
>
> I can ping the box with a crossover cable (when it's directly connected
> to my machine), but I can't if it's connected to the switch using
> crossover or patch cable.

Switch <-> machine connections will never use a crossover cable (unless
the port on the switch says MDI-X, in which case you should use another
port). Link lights will come on regardless of if you're using a
straight-through, or crossover, so that's not a reliable diagnostic.

Your cables are known good, right (I think you mentioned using them with
a windows ICS setup).

Make sure your machine is in the same subnet as the m0n0wall. Double
check the IP and subnet settings on both the client and the m0n0wall.

Make sure you're plugging the NIC you think you are into the switch (LAN
vs WAN). I've made this mistake, most annoying :/

When you say "all works fine" above, do you mean that you can send
traffic through the m0n0wall, or just ping it? If traffic flows, then it
sounds like purely a cabling issue, or a broken switch port.

Graham