[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bryan Brayton" <bryan at sonicburst dot net>
 To:  "blaue0" <me at blaue0 dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Problem getting m0n0wall to work
 Date:  Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:55:54 -0400
I would still force eth0 to 10/half duplex and see if that works.  There
are instances of certain NIC/switch combinations which will think that
autonegotiation has succeeded when in fact one side of it did not.
Also, if autonegotiation fails, the link is still supposed to come up,
but it is required to be at half-duplex (I believe that is per the
802.3u Fast Ethernet spec, I saw it in a Fluke whitepaper).  So if the
NIC thinks it worked and set the link to FD, and the switch thinks it
failed and set it to HD, you'll not get much communication.

Regards,
Bryan