[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Rothenberg" <seth at pachai dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problem getting m0n0wall to work
 Date:  Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:40:09 -0400 (EDT)
> I've changed the configuration as you said. If I ping the box when it's
> connected to the switch using a patch cable, the LED is flickering in a
> regularly time (one time per second). I think the packets arrive a the
> box, but it seams that the box doesn't accept these..

One question comes to mind - very unlikely,
but is the switch port known to be good?
I have seen the above behavior - usually in a cable,
but it could be in a port.  Could you try a different port,
or verify the same port with your laptop?

I would especially verify the compatibility of the
cable with switch port
(I think it's ludicrous to need to do it, but if you do it,
it will be good to know.

This probably means taking the cable off the m0n0
and using a CAT5 coupler to another cable to the laptop....
then put the cable back on the m0n0 and take it off
the switch and use the coupler and another cable
to connect to the laptop.

In this test, one of the extra cables will be a crossover,
one will be straight, I can't keep track of which.

What this will prove is that the upstream *plug* works with
the port on the switch...and the downstream *plug* works
with the m0n0wall's port.

As I said, this ought not to need testing, but since
everything else failed, it's worth trying.

Seth