[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping issue
 Date:  Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:41:37 -0700
> Hallo Danne,
>
> Danne schrieb am 26. July 2004:
>
> >I have an unusual problem with traffic shaping and PPPoE.
>
> You're not the only one. Regardless whether I used the "magic shaper"
> in the latest Beta, regardless of what settings, regardless if I only
> prioritized ACK-Packets (according to FAQ), the result was always
> noticeable WORSE than without enabling traffic shaper.
>
> Especially Azuerus (BitTorrent) drops horribly when Traffic Shaper is
> enabled.
I've been testing the shaper with my cable modem setup at home, and it
will always incur about a 5~10% hit on my traffic (using DSLreports
speed test to measure before and after effects).  I run an FTP and
need to limit upstream traffic that totally saturate my upstream pipe.

My understanding is that traffic shaping requires inspecting each
individual packet that travels across the interface.  Perhaps a faster
processor and memory subsystem would do good?  I'm not sure, I have a
pretty slow m0n0wall box.

> >I'm only left to think that there is an issue with PPPoE and
> >the shaping rules.
>
> I'm also DSL-user with PPPoE, I cannot guess on the causes, but I can
> confirm your effects: for me traffic shaper does more harm than good.
> Please don't get me wrong: I'm certain, that it's a great idea and
> does also work fine, but just not here :-(
>
> >Could anyone please offer any further suggestions?
>
> For the time being: just leave it off :-/
If you have a big enough upstream pipe (I got only 256K), leaving the
shaper off would be a good idea.  Unless you are having serious
latency issues when your upstream pipe is full, this is probably good
advice.  The other thing you would do is to limit the bandwidth with
client-side applications, for example placing caps on server apps or
on BT.

/sylikc