[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature Request - Time Server
 Date:  Fri, 06 Aug 2004 02:14:43 -0600
Fred Wright wrote:

>>Are there any plans to include a time server in M0n0wall that my internal clients can use?
>>
>>Since the firewall already has the capability to probe a time server I'd like to not have my
clients have to go "external" for a time sync.

>A good idea in principle, but there are a few problems in doing that with
>msntp:
>
>1) The version used on m0n0wall has a bug where it thinks there's a
>"conflict" in running a daemon-mode client and a server simultaneously.

Weird.

>2) It has no ability to provide a proper dispersion value, which would
>give clients an overly optimistic view of the time accuracy.In fact,
>many clients might even fail due to the apparent nonoverlap in multiple
>samples of the offset.  I think this is the main reason for the "or server if you must" comment in
the doc.

I was curious what that comment meant -- I was almost wondering if that
meant it was supported and just hidden somewhere?

>3) Its excessive use of floating point causes echoed client timestamps to
>be only approximately equal to the originals, which would confuse any
>client that checks the responses carefully enough (though msntp itself in
>client mode doesn't, to the point of getting thoroughly confused by
>duplicate responses).

This might be a stupid question, but are there other options that could be dropped in as a
replacement time server?

--
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disk?