[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Greenwood" <lists at silverblade dot co dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Feature Request - Failsafe Config
 Date:  Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:44:32 +0100
Yesterday while toying around with some wireless equipment, I got an error
about a missing tag in the config file.

The web interface stopped doing stuff, so I power cycled the box.

A few minutes later, the LAN light was lit up as a 10 meg connection only. I
couldn't connect to it though.

Eventually I took the plunge and carried a monitor and keyboard up into the
attic to troubleshoot the situation.

It appears my config.xml file was corrupt, and m0n0wall was refusing to do
anything other than display the console menu.

So I reset the settings, assigned IP and interfaces again, and rebooted. All
is well once again.

However, I think it might be worth allowing a "failsafe" configuration,
which can be customized by the user, for the default settings.

So, for example, it'd have a failsafe backup of the following options:
- Interface assignments
- Lan IP
- Username and password
- Web config settings (port, HTTP/HTTPS...)

This would mean that, in the event of a corrupt config file, the failsafe
one could be used, the user could login via their browser as normal, and
download the corrupt CONFIG.XML to fix it.

Shouldn't be too difficult to do. Just need some sort of "on-the-fly" config
selector that could switch between failsafe and normal, and force the
upload/download config page to download the normal config only.

Any thoughts?