[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Dinesh Nair" <dinesh at alphaque dot com>, "Andrew Greenwood" <lists at silverblade dot co dot uk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Feature Request - Failsafe Config
 Date:  Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:06:56 -0700
> well, both the webGUI and the serial console provide a reset to factory
> defaults option which will restore a factory shipped config file.
> additionally, the config file backup/restore allows you to take backups of
> your configuration. using factory reset combined with a restore should
> give you the same functionality.

Hmmm...

Don't think that's the function being looked for...

Picture this:

You go make readical changes to your config... and for some reason you can't
continue.... bad entry - firewall mistake - error writing file - crash while
writing file...

I'm thinking something along lines of config roleback to last known good
config.

Save a config file.
A menu in the tools lets you mark your current config as "Last Known Good".
Embark on a series of changes...
Reboot...
If at any time during your changes or reboot process the mono is not
accessed through the web interface and confirmed "LIVE" the config is rolled
back to last known good, and rebooted.

This would keep people from having to climb into an atic, or up a radio
tower to plug in a serial console to correct a typo ;-)

What do you think? I think this beats anything I've seen from a commercial
vendor... a backup is one thing, but unless you can do a restore to an
otherwise inaccessible router remotely, it doesn't solve the problem.

m/