[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Lagreca <lagreca at gmail dot com>
 To:  Monowall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Nat behind a NAT a bad idea?
 Date:  Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:59:02 -0700
I have a /29 network with 5 useable external IP addresses.  I want to
share my connection with others.  However I expect more than 5 other
people wanting to share my connection, so I will need some sort of NAT
incorporated into my design.  I am using m0n0wall as my main gateway,
and off the shelf wireless routers at each users location.

While laying out my network, I repeatedly ended up with a NAT behind a
NAT design.  I wasn't sure if that was an acceptable or poor design.
I've read of others doing this (that doesnt necesarily make it
correct) and was wondering what others thought about it.

If I do use it in my design, what sort of problems should I expect and
how can I overcome them?

Joe