[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaper and PPP headers
 Date:  Sat, 7 Aug 2004 17:33:05 +0200
Hallo Manuel,

Manuel Kasper schrieb am 07. August 2004:

>> ipfw: getsocket(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available
>
>This means that the traffic shaper is not enabled (properly) - ipfw
>kernel module not loaded. Make sure it's turned on, reboot if
>necessary, then post the "ipfw show" output again.

Okay, upgraded to 1.1b17 and just put in the shaper rules according
to FAQ (prioritize small ACKs).

>The output from /status.php (anonymized) is also essential if you
>want anybody to investigate this issue.

Will be appended here ;-)

The effects still remain the same: the minute I enable the shaper, all
rates (up-/download) drop by about 60%. That is: if I set "WAN" in the
rules as interface. If I chose "PPTP", there is no ill effect on my
transfer-rates, but also no advantate (at least I did not notice any).

>Non-IP packets (that would include PPPoE) are not processed by the
>traffic shaper at all.

So the traffic shaper will not be useful for DSL-users like me?

>I've been using PPPoE on WAN ever since I started working on
>m0n0wall, and the traffic shaper has been on most of the time, too...

Then I must be doing something wrong :-(

Kind regards

Frederick