[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "sietze" <m0n0wall at sistemaseuropeos dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Nat behind a NAT a bad idea?
 Date:  Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:59:16 +0200
 > ISP----Mono as router-------your box (routed IP, not nat)

That is an interesting suggestion. I've seen others asking on this list
whether this can be done.
And the answer was "no".

The reason was that, apart from wireless, m0n0 only supports ethernet. So
all ISP connections like USB, ISDN, POTS, ADSL etc. are out. Regrettably :(

If the ISP gave you a router then that router probably will be natting,
giving you NAT behing NAT again.

The only scheme I am aware of that would work here is an ISP router that is
configured as a bridge. No NAT, and ethernet on your side.

In case you didn't get a bridging router from your ISP the suggestion at the
time was to build a BSD box and configure it as a bridge yourself.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.