[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jukka Salmi <j+m0n0wall at 2004 dot salmi dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] net4501/net4801/WRAP IPsec throughput comparison
 Date:  Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:16:30 +0200
Manuel Kasper --> m0n0wall (2004-06-16 17:40:17 +0200):
> On 16.06.2004 15:01 +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:
>
> > I didn't read the whole dmesg output, but only the part from the
> > previous boot. So that was my mistake.
> >
> > How does the system page (index.php) get the "Hardware crypto"
> > info? It probably parses dmesg output the same wrong way as I did...
>
> Yes, it does, and apparently, if you only power down the box for a
> few seconds, the contents of the system message buffer are sometimes
> preserved. I don't see this as a serious issue though - for all
> practical purposes, removing a crypto accelerator card requires you
> to power down the box for long enough that the memory contents become
> stale.

Another related problem: if the message buffer fills up so that there
is no "hifn" line any more, no "Hardware crypto" info is printed on the
index page at all. (This could probably be fixed by storing dmesg output
to a file at boot time and reading from there instead of from /sbin/dmesg
output directly.)

Cheers, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: