[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Lagreca <lagreca at gmail dot com>
 To:  sietze <m0n0wall at sistemaseuropeos dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Nat behind a NAT a bad idea?
 Date:  Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:01:05 -0700
I have external IP's.  There is no NAT from my provider.  Right now I
am NAT'ing one of those IP's for my internal network and that works
great.  I can forward ports to certain machines, etc.

There are other offices near me who would like to share my connection
wirelessly.  I think I have figured out what needs to be done on the
m0n0wall.  I have two ways of doing that, either bridge one of my WAN
IP's to OPT2 and let them use that external/real IP on the WAN of
their wireless router, or create my own NAT and give them a private IP
to use on the WAN of their wireless router.  (Obviously I would charge
more for the public IP, as I only have a few of them.)

I guess my question has evolved and now seems to be, if I have 2 NIC's
in my m0n0 (OPT1 is NAT and OPT2 is bridge to public/real IP), how
would I get both of these to one wireless router to distribute?  I'm
afraid if I ran two network cables to the LAN of my Linksys WRT54G I
would create a network loop, but maybe not, because each NIC would
each be a different network.  Or maybe I have just engineered the
biggest networking joke you all have heard of.  Either way your
thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks.

Joe