[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Quark IT - Hilton Travis <hilton at quarkit dot com dot au>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaper and PPP headers
 Date:  Sun, 08 Aug 2004 11:08:31 +0200
On 08.08.2004 12:29 +1000, Quark IT - Hilton Travis wrote:

>> Non-IP packets (that would include PPPoE) are not processed
>> by the traffic shaper at all.
>
> Aha!  That may explain why I've not noticed Traffic Shaping making
> a lot of difference here.  It does appear to make some difference,
> but it is more like using rubbery pipes than concrete pipes - the
> boundaries I set are more like recommendations than actual limits.
> It sure isn't helping my VoIP usage of this connection.  :(

No, it doesn't explain that. What I meant to say is that if the
traffic shaper was enabled on the Ethernet interface that the PPPoE
modem is connected to (shouldn't happen, but let's just assume it),
instead of the PPPoE virtual interface (ng0), it would have no
effect, rather than slowing everything down.

You can check the rule hit counts in the ipfw show output. If they're
all 0, then there's something wrong.

> Yes, but is it working?

Of course! For example, I use it when uploading m0n0wall images
through my 200 kbps upstream so I can still use my Internet
connection normally. Works like a charm.

- Manuel