[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "C. Falconer" <cfalconer at avonside dot school dot nz>
 To:  me at blaue0 dot net, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Off Topic: WLAN
 Date:  Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:53:56 +1200
What do you need to do?

Are you moving the server to the cellar to make it quieter?  Or is there
some other reason you have to have it down there?  You could look at a
soekris board (which are silent and run monowall fine) or do something to
the existing server to make it quieter.  Replace any really noisy fans with
dual ball bearing zalman or vantec stealth fans.

As for the people suggesting high-powered wireless cards with directional
aerials...  Go live in the flat that will be between those aerials  -grin-

The cheapest solution is to move the server to the cellar, and use a
sacrificial length of cat5 out a window and downstairs.  Totally ugly, but
when the cable fails or starts running slow then throw it and use another
length.  If you sliptie it to a downpipe or something then it will be
reasonably tidy.

Basically what is your priority?  Silence or location?