[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Rainer Zocholl <UseNet dash Posting dash Nospam dash 74308 dash at zocki dot toppoint dot de>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NE2000 ISA Howto?
 Date:  Mon, 9 Aug 2004 01:45:14 +0800 (MYT)
On 8 Aug 2004, Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> i'm trying to run m0n0wall under Bochs.
> Bochs emulates an NE2000 ISA card, non-PnP, nonPCI
> at port 0x300 irq 3
>
> m0n0wall .img boots fine!
>
> But it seems not to be able to find that cards,
> tho NE2000 ist listed in HCL.

you must be using the net45xx, net48xx or wrap images. they all dont have
the ed(4) driver which the NE2000 requires. the generic-pc image may have
it, though i'm not too sure.

> If m0n0wall does not find any network card,
> it should give at least a warning after the line
> "Valid interfaces are:".
> A newbie does not know that there is something very
> important missing...

good point.

> Where have i to insert the driver info?
>

>      device miibus
>      device ed0 at isa port 0x300 irq 3
>
> I could only edit the image file file with a hex editor...

you'd need a freebsd system to rebuild the kernel. then once that is
rebuilt, you could replace the kernel.gz on the image with a stripped,
gzipped kernel with the ed(4) driver.