[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Patrik" <paake at telia dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Wireless network problems
 Date:  Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:57:28 +0200
Hello!

As I'm still having problems with my WLAN I thought an own thread about this would be better.
Running m0n0wall 1.1b17 on a WRAP with Senao EL-2511MP+ network card in it. More info here
(http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-mini-pci.htm). It's a Prism 2.5 based card. I have done a factory
reset on m0n0wall. Added a new interface wi0 as OPT1 or WLAN as I have renamed it. Have set SSID and
hostap mode and also tried bridge it to LAN and having it bridged with none and set IP. My laptop is
a Dell X300 with TrueMobile 1300 card in it. The laptop does recognize the WLAN and gives every
information available on it but just dont connect to it. A popup appears saying a new network is
found and asks if I want to connect to it. If I do so the popup disapears and after a few seconds it
appears again. I have tried changing channel on both m0n0wall and the laptop network card. Under
interfaces in m0n0wall I see lots of collisions. I few packets have left the AP but none as come in.
I also have another AP besides this and I have tried both having this AP active or turned off.
Collisions are detected in both cases.

I have attached a file "dump.txt" with info fetched with exec.php that might be useful.
Help would really be appreciated and I might even donate a smaller amount of money to anyone who
help me solve this.

Best Regards,
Patrik
$ ifconfig wi0
wi0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:02:6f:33:bc:6f
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect <hostap> (DS/2Mbps <hostap>)
        status: associated
        ssid m0n0 1:m0n0
        stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
        channel 6 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
        wepmode MIXED weptxkey 1
        wepkey 1:64-bit wepkey 2:64-bit wepkey 3:64-bit wepkey 4:64-bit

$ wicontrol
NIC serial number:                      [ 01270091     ]
Station name:                           [ FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node ]
SSID for IBSS creation:                 [ m0n0 ]
Current netname (SSID):                 [ m0n0 ]
Desired netname (SSID):                 [ m0n0 ]
Current BSSID:                          [ 00:02:6f:33:bc:6f ]
Channel list:                           [ 2047 ]
IBSS channel:                           [ 6 ]
Current channel:                        [ 6 ]
Comms quality/signal/noise:             [ 0 81 27 ]
Promiscuous mode:                       [ Off ]
Process 802.11b Frame:                  [ Off ]
Intersil-Prism2 based card:             [ 1 ]
Port type (1=BSS, 3=ad-hoc):            [ 6 ]
MAC address:                            [ 00:02:6f:33:bc:6f ]
TX rate (selection):                    [ 3 ]
TX rate (actual speed):                 [ 2 ]
RTS/CTS handshake threshold:            [ 2347 ]
Create IBSS:                            [ Off ]
Access point density:                   [ 1 ]
Power Mgmt (1=on, 0=off):               [ 0 ]
Max sleep time:                         [ 100 ]
WEP encryption:                         [ Off ]
TX encryption key:                      [ 1 ]
Encryption keys:                        [ ][ ][ ][ ]

$ wicontrol -o
Transmitted unicast frames:             0
Transmitted multicast frames:           176
Transmitted fragments:                  5010
Transmitted unicast octets:             0
Transmitted multicast octets:           27376
Single transmit retries:                0
Multiple transmit retries:              0
Transmit retry limit exceeded:          50
Transmit discards:                      0
Transmit discards due to wrong SA:      0
Received unicast frames:                1
Received multicast frames:              229
Received fragments:                     230
Received unicast octets:                41
Received multicast octets:              12395
Receive FCS errors:                     61
Receive discards due to no buffer:      0
Can't decrypt WEP frame:                0
Received message fragments:             0