[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'Patrik'" <paake at telia dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Wireless network problems
 Date:  Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:30:49 -0400
Your message made me thing about my own WLAN problems. I had given up trying
to fix it. Your problem may not be on your m0n0wall but on your laptop. Have
you installed the "Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB826942) -- Wi-Fi
Protected Access (WPA) support"? See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826942.

I just removed the update, reinstalled the driver for my wireless card,
setup the WEP passphase, and wireless now works. Before I set the WEP
passphrase - I could not get an IP from the m0n0wall.

My config is different so your mileage may differ. I'm running 1.0 on a
net4501 and I am using a Belkin AP on my OPT1 interface (renamed LAN2 - for
my home machines). I am running DHCP on LAN2 (but not LAN - my SBS 2003
server is handling that for LAN). My laptop is using an old SMC 802.11b card
(SMC2632W). Nether the Belkin or the SMC support WPA - WEP only. I think
m0n0wall only supports WEP not WPA. The Windows update may try to force WPA
- thank you Bill.

Hope this helps and thank you for getting my thoughts moving.

James W. McKeand